Job Opportunity: Coordinator, Grassroots Programs
The Ontario Para Network is seeking an organized, motivated, and enthusiastic individual with strong communication and facilitation skills for the role of Coordinator, Grassroots Program. The candidate will be responsible for coordinating grassroots and recreational adaptive sports events, leagues, and programs across Ontario. This position will appeal to individuals with experience in the fields of sport and event management, recreation & leisure, recreation therapy, physical education, or a related discipline.
Position: Coordinator, Grassroots Programs
Position Type: Full time – 1 year contract with potential for ongoing renewal
Job Region: ON – Metro Toronto Area with travel across the Golden Horseshoe
Application Deadline: September 26, 2019
The successful, motivated and enthusiastic candidate will be responsible for coordinating recreational adaptive sport events, leagues, and programs across the province of Ontario. Programs include awareness, outreach, and education programs that are promoted in partnership with municipalities, rehabilitation centres, or other provincial sport organizations. The coordination of our grassroots and recreational wheelchair basketball leagues will also fall under the mandate of the Program Coordinator.
- Wheelchair Basketball Leagues (Division 2 & 3):
- Establish relationships with team representatives, club representatives, coaches and athletes.
- Work with team and club representatives to ensure each team competes at the appropriate level.
- Review, communicate and enforce the rules of league play.
- Prepare schedules and track statistics.
- Problem solve as required and act as a direct liaison to the team reps and players.
- Ensure that game statistics are recorded accurately and that all game-related information including statistics, game photos and articles are uploaded to the website in a timely manner.
- Organize and schedule playoff games and/or end-of-season events.
- Grassroots Programs
- Work with other sport partners and community groups to create adaptive sport opportunities.
- Identify and deliver programming, workshops and/or one-day events in targeted clubs, communities, recreational facilities or schools.
- Explore/execute promotional opportunities for adaptive sports at community events in cooperation with member wheelchair sport clubs, local coaches and athletes.
- Help with the design and distribution of promotional and communications material relating to adaptive sport programming in the province of Ontario.
- Coordinate professional development opportunities for coaches and volunteers.
- Promote the benefits of participation in adaptive sports and encourage people to become active within their community through a variety of sport programs.
- Assist the Bridging the Gap Coordinator with awareness and first involvement programs.
- Other administrative duties as required.
- Minimum 1-year relevant post secondary education or experience in recreation & leisure, sport and event management, recreation therapy, physical education, or related discipline.
- Experience working with athletes with disabilities is a definite asset.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written
- Program development and coordination experience
- Outgoing personality and ability to network, build, and develop partnerships
- Strong and effective group facilitation skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel and work off-site as required for program delivery
- Valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle or other method of transportation to attend league games and clinics located across the province.
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Ontario Para Network
Deadline for applications: Thursday September 26, 2019
About the Ontario Para Network
Formerly known as the Ontario Wheelchair Sports Association, our mission at the Ontario Para Network (ONPARA) is to grow adaptive sport opportunities across Ontario. As the governing body for wheelchair sports in the province, we strive to offer opportunities for individuals with disabilities to participate in wheelchair athletics, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis at recreational, competitive and high performance levels.