Job Opportunity: Communications Assistant (Summer Student)
ONPARA is seeking a creative individual with strong written and verbal communication skills. The candidate will support all ONPARA communications and social media activities. This position will appeal to students in a journalism, public relations, or communications program.
Position: Communications Assistant (Summer Student)
Position Type: Contract – 8 weeks @ 35hrs/week
Location: ON – Metro Toronto Area with travel across the Greater Toronto Area
Application Deadline: Thursday May 30, 2019
The Communications Assistant will work with ONPARA’s staff, athletes and communications volunteers to draft content in support of our athletes and the organization.
- Use your creative story-telling skills to create engaging content about our athletes and their adaptive sport experiences
- Draft content for email newsletters
- Draft program descriptions for brochures, flyers and website
- Assist with the redesign of our website (current work-in-progress)
- Gain an understanding of adaptive sports with particular focus on wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis
- Find creative ways to convey the message that a sport wheelchair is a piece of sports equipment used by people of all abilities in order to participate in adaptive sports
- Work to develop ideas and offer creative direction in a team-based environment
- Access photo libraries to select images for use in social media posts
- Create plans, scripts, social media posts etc. to ensure that communications material is creative, consistent and effective at telling our story.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work independently.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- A solid understanding of social media and the various platforms.
- Attention to detail.
- Above-average organizational skills and ability to manage deadlines
- A desire to work with our athletes of all abilities to share their stories
- A desire to produce creative content
- Flexible schedule as programs occasionally run in the evenings and on weekends
- Knowledge of wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, wheelchair tennis or wheelchair athletics is an asset
This position is made possible through funding from the Canada Summer Jobs program. Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 years old
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant Ontario legislation and regulations.
This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program and will pay a wage of $14.00/hour for 35 hours/week for a maximum of 8 weeks.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can submit a resume, cover letter and a link to their social media platforms. Please include no more than 3 samples of your written work.
Applications must be submitted to email@example.com by May 30, 2019
We appreciate the interest of all applicants however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the Ontario Para Network
Formerly known as the Ontario Wheelchair Sports Association, our mission at the Ontario Para Network (ONPARA) is to grow adaptive sport opportunities across Ontario. As the governing body for wheelchair sports in the province, we strive to offer opportunities for individuals with disabilities to participate in wheelchair athletics, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis at recreational, competitive and high performance levels. We deliver extensive outreach and education programs targeting schools as well as individuals and clinicians at rehabilitation hospitals and the broader health care sector.