Ken Thom Memorial Award
To honour the memory and contributions of our former president and long-time wheelchair athletics coach, the late Ken Thom, the Ontario Para Network is proud to announce the establishment of the ‘Ken Thom Memorial Coaching Award’.
The award is to be presented annually during National Coaches Week to an adaptive sports coach who embodies the passion, knowledge and skills that that made Ken such a cherished member of the ONPARA organization.
Throughout his many years of involvement in sports, Ken touched not just hundreds of athletes, but also their parents. In addition to his sport leadership, Ken played an instrumental role for so many families in their navigation of the educational and healthcare systems, and how to advocate for their children.
The Ken Thom Coaching Award will be awarded during National Coaches Week from September 21-29, 2019 to an adaptive sports coach who embodies the same qualities as those exhibited by Ken over his decades of leadership in adaptive sports in Ontario. The selected coach will be receive a plaque and $250 cash award.
- A passion for sports;
- The technical knowledge and skills for coaching in adaptive sports;
- A focus on and dedication to sportsmanship and giving back to the community;
- The unwavering passion he brought to every practice, every game and every competition;
- An infectious attitude that motivates athletes and participants to excel, to play their best and to support their fellow players;
- A willingness to accept challenges that foster a “can do” attitude;
- A commitment to keeping the fun in “fundamentals”;
- The passion for mentoring athletes on the field of play and throughout their lives.
- Nominated coaches must have NCCP training / certification
- Coaches must be working with para-athletes in a Paralympic sport
- Both Grassroots or High Performance coaches are eligible to apply
- Nominations must be received by August 31, 2019
The nomination period is now OPEN for the 2019 Ken Thom Memorial Coaching Award
Nomination forms are due on or before August 31, 2019 and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org