ONPARA Virtual School Program
The Virtual School Program was created to provide an engaging and informative alternative to in-person presentations while also expanding the reach of our programming. The program consists of 6 videos (each between 7-9 minutes long), which can be played over the course of a week or over the teacher’s chosen timeline. Each video is accompanied by a resource guide including an athlete bio, an outline of the main topics contained in the video, and suggested discussion questions for students.
Topics addressed throughout the program include:
- Getting Involved in Adaptive Sport
- Adaptive Sport Clubs & Programs
- Accessibility and Inclusion
- Life as a Paralympian
- Inclusion in Wheelchair Basketball
- Trying a New Sport
The program is designed for a teacher to use with their class over the course of about 1 week. At the end of the week, a live Zoom session will be scheduled with an ONPARA facilitator and athlete ambassador to discuss key learning outcomes and answer any questions the students may have.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can I contact for more information?
Katherine Hale, Program Manager
How much does the program cost?
The ONPARA Virtual School program fee is $250.00. If this fee presents a barrier for your school and you feel that your students would benefit from taking part in the program, please contact us.
What is included in the program?
- 6 videos covering different topics related to wheelchair basketball (each between 7-9 minutes long)
- Resource guides for each video, including learning expectations, athlete biographies, expansions upon key points from the videos, discussion questions and suggested resources for further reading
- A 1-hour long live Zoom session with an ONPARA Facilitator and Athlete Ambassador at the end of the week
Who is this program for?
The ONPARA Virtual School Program was designed for teachers to use with their Secondary School classes (grades 9-12). That being said, if you are interested in offering the program for other age groups or in other settings, please let us know and we can answer any questions you may have.
The ONPARA Virtual School Program has been made possible thanks to the generous support of the Canadian Tire Jumpstart Foundation. Thanks to the 2021 Sport Relief Fund, community sport organizations like ours continue to provide access to sport and play for Canadian kids. This grant has been instrumental in helping us establish the virtual school program section of our website, and has provided us with the capacity to prepare to deliver the program to students across Ontario.