Adopt a School
At ONPARA we are always looking to increase participation in adaptive sports. Through our ‘Adopt a School’ program, contributions from individuals or businesses will help us to provide presentations and/or sport chair rentals to more students. These programs offer students the opportunity to learn about inclusion, diversity and the importance of active living for ALL! Students benefit immensely from learning first-hand from a para athlete ambassador about life, recreation, and sport.
Through our Wheelchair Basketball School Programs we have reached 16 different school boards, provided over 235 presentations, and have taught 118,981 students about the fully inclusive sport of wheelchair basketball! Additionally, 76 schools have participated in our week-long rental program, to ensure that all students have the opportunity to play.
Testimonials from teachers who have experienced our School Programs and felt the impact:
“Thanks again for the presentation yesterday – it was fantastic! It was really engaging for the students (and staff!), and I liked the balance of fun, awareness raising and athletics. The athlete ambassador is a great communicator and really connected with the kids. Thanks so much”
– Phys. Ed Teacher, Park Avenue Public School, York Region District School Board
“Thank YOU for giving our students an unforgettable experience, and for the athlete coming in to our school and demonstrating wheelchair basketball. As I said when you guys visited us, that was the best presentation that I have ever seen in my 10-year teaching career!”
– Teacher, Cresthaven Public School, Toronto District School Board
“I have to say your visit to our school was one of the highlights of the year. The message about playing safely and connecting with a person with disabilities is important learning for young children. We hope to see you back at Park.”
– Phys. Ed Teacher, Chine Drive Public School, Toronto District School Board
Below lists our Adopt a School options with costs and a brief description of what is involved with each “Adoption”. As an “Adopter” you may coordinate with a school of your choice, for instance your child’s school, or you may make the financial contribution to cover any school that is interested and in need of funding.
|‘Adopt a School’ Option||Cost||What’s Included|
|Presentation||$400||– 40-60 minute presentation from ONPARA staff and athlete ambassador about the inclusive sport of wheelchair basketball
– Skills demonstration from athlete ambassador
– Students and/or teachers will have the opportunity to scrimmage in a 5×5 wheelchair basketball game to cap off an exciting and fun-filled presentation.
|Presentation + Rental||$700||– All of the above, plus the rental of 10-12 sport wheelchairs for an entire week
– Rented chairs can be used everyday of the week in physical education classes and other extracurricular activities
– ONPARA staff will work with teachers to ensure they are comfortable using the sport wheelchairs, and will introduce drills and skill-building games that can be played during physical education classes
– Additional support from ONPARA staff or athlete ambassador can be arranged if more assistance is needed
– Secondary schools also receive an invitation to ONPARA’s Regional Wheelchair Basketball Festivals where students can showcase their skills in a one-day, 3×3 tournament
|Regional Festival Sponsor||$2500||– Sponsorship of one of ONPARA’s regional Wheelchair Basketball Festivals where secondary schools that participated in the Rental Program are invited to showcase their skills in a one-day 3×3 tournament
– Welcome signs and/or court signage with your company’s logo*
– Custom t-shirts branded with your company’s logo will be given to all tournament participants*
*Sponsors must be approved by the school board and must not violate their sponsorship policy.
If you, your company, or someone you know would like to cover the cost of a School Program through our Adopt a School opportunity, please contact:
Ontario Para Network
As an “Adopter,” you or your company will be recognized as a supporter of the ONPARA Wheelchair Basketball School Program and will be acknowledged on our website.