Job Opportunity: School Programs Coordinator
The Ontario Para Network is seeking a dynamic, dedicated and organized individual with strong communication and facilitation skills for the role of School Programs Coordinator. The candidate will be responsible for coordinating our ONPARA School Programs and other programs/events as needed. This position will appeal to individuals with experience in the fields of physical education, sport and event management, recreation & leisure, recreation therapy, or a related discipline.
Position: School Programs Coordinator
Position Type: Full time – 1 year contract with potential for ongoing renewal
Job Region: Toronto, ON (with travel across the Greater Toronto Area)
Application Deadline: January 28th, 2022
The successful candidate will coordinate and facilitate ONPARA’s School Programs and assist with other programs/events as needed. Our School Programs are designed to educate students and teachers at elementary, secondary, and post-secondary levels about wheelchair basketball and other adaptive sports and inspire students of all physical abilities to embrace healthy and active lifestyles.
The Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the in-person Wheelchair Basketball School Program and visiting schools across the GTA to provide students with a chance to try wheelchair basketball and connect with an Athlete Ambassador in an interactive, inclusive and informative way. This program provides schools with a wheelchair basketball resource guide, equipment, and instruction to incorporate wheelchair basketball programming into their physical education curriculum. It also aims to facilitate community connections for students interested in playing in clubs and leagues outside of school. The candidate will also be responsible for the ONPARA Virtual School Program, which was recently created to provide an engaging and informative alternative to in-person presentations while also expanding the reach of our programming.
- Coordinate and deliver wheelchair basketball presentations and introductory wheelchair sport skills sessions to students and “teach the teacher” how to integrate wheelchair basketball into their curriculum and school programming
- Coordinate delivery of the sport wheelchair Rental Week Program, including management of the equipment inventory and storage/transportation of sport wheelchairs to/from schools
- Develop and maintain a database of school contacts
- Liaise with school boards, educators, and administrators to develop and implement school-based ‘Have a Go’ days, tournaments, and 3-on-3 festivals
- Administer surveys, collect feedback and testimonials, and track reporting data from participating schools
- Coordinate recruitment and orientation of program volunteers and athlete ambassadors
- Work with students with disabilities and their teachers to foster inclusion in school-based activities, and support the transition to community-based adaptive sports clubs/programs
- Develop resources to promote wheelchair basketball and other adaptive sports to educate students, teachers, and parents about opportunities for continued participation
- Liaise with OFSAA and other sports organizations regarding events and program opportunities
- Establish relationships with ONPARA clubs, teams, coaches, and athletes
- Identify and explore promotional opportunities and communications materials relating to adaptive sports programming in the province of Ontario
- Other administrative and programming duties as required
- Minimum 1-year relevant post-secondary education or experience in recreation & leisure, sport and event management, recreation therapy, physical education, or related discipline. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong sport/activity facilitation skills, especially in a large group setting
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to take the initiative and adapt to changing circumstances
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends and work off-site as required for program delivery
- Valid driver’s license is a must, as weekly travel to GTA schools is a requirement of the position
- Comfortable driving and parking in urban environments and on 400-series highways
- Knowledge of wheelchair basketball and adaptive sports is a definite asset
- Experience working with individuals with physical disabilities is a definite asset
The full job posting can also be found on the SIRC website.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Ontario Para Network
Deadline for applications: Friday, January 28th, 2022
ONPARA is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status, or disability. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is made possible in part thanks to the generous support of Scotiabank and the Canadian Tire Jumpstart Foundation.