Job Opportunity: Communications Assistant
ONPARA is seeking a creative individual with strong written and verbal communication skills for the role of Communications Assistant. The candidate will support all ONPARA communications and social media activities. This position will appeal to students or recent graduates from a journalism, media, or communications program with a keen interest in sports. The Communications Assistant will work with ONPARA’s staff, athletes, and Director of Communications to create content in support of our athletes and the organization.
Position: Communications Assistant (Internship)
Position Type: Contract – a total of 247 hours must be completed by Dec 31, 2020 (position is being funded through the Summer Experience Program)
Job Region: ON – Toronto, Ontario with possible travel across the Greater Toronto Area
Application Deadline: September 22, 2020
- Use your creative story-telling skills to create engaging bios, articles, and other content about our athletes and their adaptive sport experiences
- Draft content for email newsletters
- Develop strategies and draft content for social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram)
- Draft program descriptions for brochures, flyers, and our website
- Gain an understanding of adaptive sports with particular focus on wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, and wheelchair tennis
- Work to develop ideas and offer creative direction in a team-based environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A solid understanding of social media engagement strategies and the various platforms
- Good attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and proven ability to manage tight deadlines
- A desire to work with our athletes of all abilities to share their stories
- A desire to produce creative content across multiple platforms
- Flexible schedule as some programs occasionally run in the evenings and on weekends
- Interest in sports and knowledge of adaptive sports such as wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby, and wheelchair tennis is an asset
This position is made possible through funding from the Ontario Summer Experience Program. Applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary institution or within six months of graduation
- Be between the ages of 15 and 24 years old (or 29 years old for persons with a disability)
- Be a resident of Ontario during the period of employment
- Be eligible to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
Interested candidates can submit a resume, cover letter and a link to their social media platforms.
Applicants are invited to include no more than 2 samples of written work.
Applications must be submitted by September 22, 2020 to:
Ontario Para Network
We appreciate the interest of all applicants however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the Ontario Para Network
Formerly known as the Ontario Wheelchair Sports Association, our mission at the Ontario Para Network (ONPARA) is to grow adaptive sport opportunities across Ontario. As the governing body for wheelchair sports in the province, we strive to offer opportunities for individuals with disabilities to participate in wheelchair athletics, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis at recreational, competitive and high performance levels.